View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #121 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
At this point, I am just taking a position to believe it when I see it.

I think this is a marketing failure given their intent to produce something unique at what is a premium price point for most people in a vehicle with marginal utility. They are banking on optimism.
You have to take risks to make change. The VW XL1 seems to have been a success.

Personally I'm fed up with the whole false advertising that internal combustion vehicles have come a long way. Sure, they get a bit better fuel mileage, better emissions and are safer. But they're still the same box on wheels with combustion powered pistons as they were over 100 years ago. Where are the flying cars, the maglev cars, the cars that have a Mr. Fusion, the cars that truely run on water, wind, air, sun, etc.

The hybrid is a welcome change from the norm. And so is the modern EV. But it's as if EV's are based off of the same box on wheels ICE cousins. Just put an electric motor in there and a big cellphone batter and then focus everyone's attention on the large touch screen.

100mpg cars are possible. So are 200mpg cars. So are 300mpg cars.

But everyone's focus seems to be on going backwards. The biggest energy waster, other than ICE efficiency, is the un-aerodynamic shape of our vehicles. But in spite of that, everyone wants to drive an SUV... So now we need ginormous batteries for each vehicle because everyone will be wanting to drive electric Hummers in the future, as if that's the solution to the energy crisis.

If the Aptera can go at least twice as far as a Tesla Model 3 per kWh, I'd say it's a victory in the right direction.

I'd like to see car manufacturers make lighter, ultra-aerodynamic and ultra-efficient family vehicles and figure out how to do that without sacrificing safety.