Thread: Rule of Thumb
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
That's a very good question, and I'll be happy to take it up Friday when I return. The store will be closing soon and I'd like to devote as much time as necessary to adequately frame a response.
And I'll again, request that we stick to data. Implications of internal experiences aren't proper material for the forum, and will only lead to closure.
Thanks again, and have a great next couple of days.
I'll look forward to your reply, and I appreciate it. But this isn't a question of data; it's one of logic. An analogy:

I play the pedal solo at the beginning of Bach's Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C (BWV 564) a certain way, using mostly toes and almost no heels. If someone comes along and says, "Hey, you can play that much more easily if you use heels in these several places!" I have a choice in how I respond: I can dismiss that person's ideas out of hand, or I can try them out. If I dismiss them, I will never know if they are indeed better than what I've been doing; but if I try them, I might discover they are better or I might discover they are not and I'm satisfied with the way I was doing things previously. Either way, I'll have learned something.

The question of logic is this: Is it better to engage in the first type of response, or the second? Why?