View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #101 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Yea the shifts are pretty fast. I normally drive gas engines with roughly 1/2 to 3/4 throttle except initial take off and I'm a "slow" driver compared to most other vehicles on the road. I shifted my T100 at around 2500-3000rpm. Peak torque I think is like 3600rpm

With my diesel, I'm probably taking off about as fast as a "normal" driver. It's by no means fast, but I take off harder in it vs my 4.0L v8 Lexus, but it likes to down shift at the wrong time and such so I don't get to really drive it the way I'd like.

The vroom-clutch-vroom-clutch reminds me of a semi driver with a manual =). I've been driving my truck similar, light throttle for take off (2nd gear generally) and rev out to ~2k rpm and shift into 3rd. Beyond that I give it quite a bit of throttle and was targeting 2k rpm, but I'll try 1500ish. Probably slow me down a bit, but I'm generally not in a rush anyway.

On the idling to cool down I figured that was from larger vehicles. I guess the idea is to make sure the turbo cools so the oil doesn't overheat in it. I was thinking it might be turbo related.

My fancy cardboard radiator block probably has around 1.5sqft opening. When I make something better, I plan to put it on the front facing side of the grill and probably block it off completely for winter. There should easily be enough air for the fan to catch if it starts to get too warm, the front end isn't exactly sealed on these trucks lol.

My sister (12 years younger than me) hasn't gotten her license yet but has the permit (2nd year now, she's been slow at getting the test over with). Anyway, she's never touched a manual vehicle before, my dad and I and her boyfriend have been telling her she needs to atleast get the experience once just so she knows how to drive one. Never know when a situation comes up where she has to drive a stick. The truck is stupid easy to drive, stalling is just about impossible. The owner's manual did suggest taking off in 3rd! gear for icy conditions and I stalled the engine. Could just be because of the turbo boost leak, but I think I'll continue with the 2nd gear route except when loaded. I'd think using 1st gear would save some clutch life, but I suspect it would get worse mpg since it's basically start moving and shift instantly. With new fluids and the trans shifting a little easier, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. My T100 is a bit like that, 1st gear into the intersection and 2nd gear half way through it.

If I can actually hit 30mpg with this truck, I think I'll effectively have the record for the best mpg for these trucks or atleast a close 2nd. If I remember right, used motor oil and trans fluid contains more energy so they generally give better mpg too. Fix some areo, drive right and might be able to hit pretty high 20's. Guessing pretty extreme measures would have to be done to get near 30mpg though. That'd put me at like +100% over the mpg rating on these trucks. I kind of wonder what kind of mpg I'd get just from a tune switch, steady speed 60mph with the topper on. Maybe that front bumper gives better mpg than I'm thinking, it does go down a long ways, so it's acting a bit like an air dam.

Also not sure what IDH is, google said interior door handle. My truck is pretty simple, it has a mechanical fuel pump so it should be in a pretty ready state to start while rolling. I haven't tried it yet, not really planning to P&G with it even though it sounds like diesels do quite well with that style of driving.

With my truck while in higher gears, like 1/2 throttle vs full throttle I don't really feel any difference in the take off speed. I do see the HPOP pressures go up in relation to the throttle, I'd assume it's dumping more fuel but maybe it's just requesting higher pressure to inject and burn more efficiently. I'm not used to drive by wire systems yet, the delay from lifting up on the throttle to shift is a bit annoying, I have to remember to lift off the throttle first, clutch and shift. It's only like a 100ms delay but if I do it too early it dry rev's the engine to like 3000rpm.