View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
blownb310
Master EcoModder

Saab EV - '19 Chevy Bolt EV LT

Pierre - '07 ZENN MC2 Base
I wish I had the time to do some aero mods to my Datsun B210 before Sunday, but and engine swap is more than enough at the moment.

For those on this forum who haven't been following a similar thread to this on our A.M.E.C. forum, here's what I'm doing to my '77 Datsun B210 for this event.

Previously the car was modified for speed and power. I used it for hillclimbs and such. I built and modified the 1397cc engine to 1608cc's complete with twin 40mm Dellortos...

It ran terrific but only got 25 mpg. OK so I needed a stock engine for economy run events.

So I removed this original 1397cc engine from my '76 B210 parts car. It sat outside in a field for the last 15 years. It needed some TLC.

I tore it down and freshened it up. This was yesterday.

Today it looks like this and I am installing it. I used an '80 Datsun 210 "mpg" cylinder head with it's smaller round intake ports and small combustion chambers. This head, on the B210 block [with it's flat top pistons] yields about 10.4 to 1 compression ratio. High compression is key for improving gas mileage. I'm waiting on an intake gasket from PA, so a road test will have to wait until Wednesday. I will be fine tuning it with an Innovate LM1 wide band oxygen sensor setup. I hope I get it dialed in by Sunday!