View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #135 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I feel that people's perception of what they think a car should look like holds back potential.
I think .. Most (not all) individuals have a fairly finite amount of change (compared to what things were in their 'formative' years) .. that they will embrace happily .. but eventually too much change , and they aren't happy about it .. then they spend more and more of their time and effort to oppose increasing amounts of change .. and if too much change happens too fast , it isn't even a preference thing , they can can't keep up at all .. even if it means they die because of it .. eventually the next generation comes along with a new formative years base line .. repeat.

The rate of change in recent decades might have from time to time pushed that rate of change past saturation for a given generation .. but that was temporary .. The rate of change is no longer increasing .. no longer an increasing slope .. change has been continuing .. but the rate of change has been slowing down .. the slope of the curve has been decreasing for a while now .. change is moving more and more back toward a leveling off of the rate of change .. it was a rare isolated short lived blip in the history of our species.

Soo , the 'hold back' you mentioned .. I think is temporary .. As the rate of technological change / improvement continues to slow .. it will fall more and more into the range people are comfortable to embrace happily in their life times.