View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #140 (permalink)
Snax
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
Technology is still changing / improving .. but that rate of change is slowing down.
I.e., at what point is improvement to 'the wheel' an impossible waste of resources for paltry gain.

I'd parallel this to a standard of consumer satisfaction where you can never actually achieve a full 100% satisfaction from every buyer of a product or service, and so at some point the gains from improvement begin to lose out to the costs of making those improvements. In my former industry of telecomm and internet, I figured out that they seem to put that right around 87%. Sure, they could do better, but never perfect. It is only through significant innovation that the more substantial improvements are ever made, but rarely by making old tech just work better.

Tying this back into Aptera, I don't see that paradigm shift. All of the big manufacturers understand aerodynamics, rolling resistance, weight, and battery techonolgy. Where is the innovation that will really make this come together in a way that could be ubiquitous to products of the future? In other words, while they are demonstrating what they 'can' do, are they really demonstrating what buyers really want or need and 'should' do?

It's niche for sure, and it better deliver fully on the promises for a broader market to take it seriously.