View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #1239 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I dunno if Honda's design silliness applies to the generation of Accord in question, but my 89 Accord required me to remove the axle to change the alternator out the bottom (only option). PITA. That alone is worth chopping a couple hundred more off the price.
Would you have paid a mechanic $500 for parts and labor? I spent a week replacing the alternator in my 1990 Accord, but that was the first time that I needed to deal with a stuck bolt, so I wonder if I could have made short work of that with my current tools and knowledge.

The alternator in the 1990 Accord is on top and in front. The guy from FixBook moved the cruise control out of the way, but that didn't look like a big deal.

However...

As I mentioned, I wonder if the Focus alternator seized and broke her belt, which happened to my Prelude. I told someone that Dad convinced me to pay $500 to have a shop replace that in 2004 and someone responded "They made a $400 profit off you."

My repair manual was for the Prelude and the Accord, so replacing the alternator in the Prelude was probably the same, or at least similar to the horrible job with the Accord.