View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #110 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
Up here, 99% or more of the parking brakes don't function for anything domestic made. Every Toyota I've used with the center console style pull lever parking brake worked fine.
I drove a Renault Clio II with a pull-lever parking brake and a Nissan XTerra WD22 with the pedal-activated parking brake, both not working. But it seems like the pull-lever type is usually easier to work on.

Quote:
My 1990 Lexus one even works, but the shoes are bad inside the rotor (4 wheel disc brakes with an inner drum for the rear parking brake).
The good old drum-in-hat layout. People either love it or hate it...

Quote:
My sister is around quite a few people that drive manuals, so if something happened to them and she was the only driver, she would either have to drive the vehicle, or wait for help.
Much better to know how to drive a manual than eventually becoming stuck in a life-threatening situation.

Quote:
She can be kind of strange sometimes, like when I changed the trans fluid in my truck, she wanted to watch/help. She got the chance to pull her first drain plug, did about 100x better than me for how much oil got on her hand.
Few girls demonstrate such a will to learn how stuff works, but anyway, I don't believe it has anything to do with women not being so inclined to enjoy such jobs. People in general seem to be quite lazy and mediocre nowadays.

Quote:
I suspect she's torn a bit between trying to be a "girly girl" like online (movies, advertising, etc) suggests women "should" be like, and a country girl as that's where she lives and the people around her act like.
I met some country girls who are still closer to what you refer to as "girly" than some urban girls, yet they got the ability to deal with situations their urban counterparts weren't familiar with.