View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 09:50 PM   #111 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Yea that 90 Lexus rotor design is simple but effective. I've read ford used a 4x4 transmission on a 2wd truck to attach a drum to it and have a parking brake for their first 4 wheel disc brake trucks (like F350/450 size). Never seen a pic of one though to validate.

Personally, I'd rather have the drum brakes in the back, but the disc setup is easy to upgrade. The 90 LS400's came with weak brakes from the factory, the 93-94's got ~1in larger rotors and swap the bracket/caliper and it's a bolt on swap. 95+ can be swapped for even better brakes, I think they have 4 piston calipers, but it requires the tie rod ends being replaced to the new style to clear and larger rims. Every vehicle I've had before where always rear drum, front disc. It's so weird moving the pedal so far down before the brakes come online, feels like the rear brakes need adjusting, but there is no adjusting to do. The ford has that problem, but haven't pulled the rear drums yet to inspect the wear and adjust them up. My T100 applies the brakes right away, but I adjusted the brakes up in the back after I got it.

Anyway, I'd say 100% my sister is more country than a typical city girl. She shows interest in some things but it's fairly limited. She didn't grow up on a farm so wasn't really made to do physical labor. On the other hand, I grew up in the same house but the situation was different. Basically I had to entertain myself and generally that meant I was kicked outside to do something "constructive". By around 12 I dug through the scrap pile and started messing around with lawn mower engines, later got into electronics. After college I've done a lot of "online research" on topics of interest, that's how I got into this site. Anyway, my sister does pretty well, I'd like to see her do a bit more, but I can't expect her to want to work on cars etc. She likes graphic design and photography and she has a better eye for that kind of stuff than me. I can do just about anything on a computer except graphics. Ironically she wanted to learn basic programming back when I lived there, that lasted for about 2 sessions lol.

I think once the weather warms up and she gets more hours behind the wheel, she might be more open to driving a manual. She has drove a quad for years, however it's fully automatic lol.