View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
lyd
It smells funny in here.

GeeOh - '97 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 33.41 mpg (US)
The finest Chinese cr*p that money can buy. (wheels & tires)

Well, I am kind of an idiot. I had a set of Enkei 15x6.5 wheels on my geo, 3 of which were pretty badly scuffed up and one of which was slightly warped. I went in to the tire place to see if I could: a), score one of these long-discontinued wheels that had been forgotten in the corner of some warehouse somewhere to replace the warped one or b), switch all four to steel and maybe drop the width a bit while maintaining the diameter.

Instead, I couldn't resist their cheap-o house brand alum. wheels on sale. I know they are less aerodynamic, and it would have been better to move back to a narrower tire, but I am really amused by the way the geo looks like a life-size hot wheels car with wheels like this on it. I used to love hot wheels. The only reason I don't play with them now is I have the Geo. Yeah, yeah, I said I was an idiot, but there you go.

The upside of this is that the new Chinese tires ("Kumho", *shrug*) I got to put on the new Chinese wheels have a rated max pressure of 51 psi. That's up from 41 for the Falkens I had on the front and 35 for the cheap-o Generals I had on the rear.

I figured I'd run at max recommended for a while, at least until I get some further instrumentation together, and then consider over-inflating from there.

So there, I've confessed. Get it out of your systems now so I don't have to listen to all the mocking when I post pics of something important that happen to show my silly, inefficient wheels. ;-)