View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 11:25 PM   #112 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
I've read ford used a 4x4 transmission on a 2wd truck to attach a drum to it and have a parking brake for their first 4 wheel disc brake trucks (like F350/450 size).
I remember some Japanese vehicles, such as Toyota J40 and more recently some Isuzu N-Series trucks, had a parking brake drum attached to the transmission even while resorting to drum brakes all around.

Quote:
Every vehicle I've had before where always rear drum, front disc. It's so weird moving the pedal so far down before the brakes come online, feels like the rear brakes need adjusting, but there is no adjusting to do. The ford has that problem, but haven't pulled the rear drums yet to inspect the wear and adjust them up. My T100 applies the brakes right away, but I adjusted the brakes up in the back after I got it.
Most vehicles I drove were front disc, rear drum. On a sidenote, I remember one day a friend complained about the front disc brakes of a car his sister owned at the time to be so weak it felt like drums all-around. People usually consider drums to be outdated, but they're still widely used on commercial vehicles in countries like mine (Brazil) because some operators consider them more reliable under harsh environmental conditions, plus IIRC nowadays most are self-adjusting.

Quote:
Anyway, my sister does pretty well, I'd like to see her do a bit more, but I can't expect her to want to work on cars etc.
As long as she get to know how to change a flat tire instead of bossing some random guy to do it, she will be better than the majority of "modern" women who either call their insurance or believe they're entitled to have any random guy to do it for them out of "gentlemanliness". It had been quite bothersome to deal with old ladies who interrupted me while I walked the dog around as if I had some sort of obligation to change a flat tire.