View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
socalsuperhero
CRX HF Vtec-e

CRvX HF - '90 Honda CRX HF
I'm in the same boat as you svoboy, with a d15z1 powered crx. Just drove up from LA yesterday back to Mammoth and averaged 45mpg. I was initially disappointed with the mileage, but all things considered it wasn't so bad. During the course of the trip you gain 7500ft. It was really windy through the desert plus it was 95+F during the day so that meant windows down under 50mph and cracked a couple inched 50+mph. It also involved stop and go traffic in la plus driving 75-80mph to keep from getting killed on the 405.

So yeah, 45mpg. It could be better, and I would be stoked to see 60mpg...but on the 300 mile trip it would save me just over 1.5 gallons of gas. By simply slowing down I should be able to accomplish that, suffering through the mojave desert with no a/c for an extra hour just doesn't seem to justify the extra $5-6 saved...esp when the gf is riding along (tough enough to get her to ride in it anyways).

Overall, to be getting the same mileage that normal drivers get with their prius except for a fraction of the cost makes me happy.