View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #76 (permalink)
BillyBob251
EcoModding Lurker

https://www.truckinginfo.com/1011841...o-small-to-see

I realize this is a very old thread, but just wondering what you guys think of the above article, where they say that sometimes trucking companies only see gains from various mods after 1,000 miles, or 6 months of testing. How do EcoModders in general address the issue of gains which are too small to show up in A-B-A testing but which nevertheless are gains?

An example I can think of is installing a shaft seal in my car which turns more easily on the torque converter shaft than two other seals for the same application, which I also happened to have on hand. The seal that turns with less friction will get better MPG, even though it is a microscopic gain and can never even be measured.

So is there a way to mathematically calculate the positive impact of the Airtabs as opposed to their negative effects? I guess I just don't believe their positive impact is *exactly offset* by the total drag created by the Airtab's vortices... Rather, I think there is probably a *net impact* going on which is only measurable over a large amounts of distance, perhaps?

Last edited by BillyBob251; 01-28-2021 at 09:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to BillyBob251 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-29-2021)