View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
CYBERTRUCK range pulling tadpole trailer = approx. 870-miles

I've had a little time to run the calculator through some more paces.
Ever since Cybertruck was announced, and TFL cars.com began their Tesla attack, AeroStealth and I have been doing thought experiments, working out performance predictions for different scenarios, all based upon data from empirical testing of the Tesla Model X.
One scenario includes pulling a fully-boat-tailed, accordion gap-filled, tadpole trailer, which creates the sought after, but impractical 'elongation' necessary for really low drag. Rear wheel skirts and suite of blending mods.
Lowest suspension setting.
I've detuned the truck / trailer to Cd 0.10.( Hucho gives Cd 0.07 as 'floor' )
Frontal area taken at 36-sq-ft.
All-up weight = 6350-pounds
I've allowed 78% useable capacity of a 200-kWh pack
Rolling force coefficient is the same as, and was reverse-engineered from the Model X. ( 95% of pickups will never see 'truck duty' )
Since the Cybertruck is rated to 130-mph, I ran numbers for up to that velocity.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* In California, where trailer towing is limited to 55-mph, calculation indicates 179-Watts / mile, and 870-miles range to battery exhaustion.
* At 65-mph, 779-miles.
* At 75-mph, 694-miles
* At 130-mph, on the autobahn, 513-miles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# The Cybertruck pulling the trailer at 130-mph has the same road load as:
- The F-150 shape at 76-mph
- The RAM 1500 shape at 79-mph
- Cybertruck (naked) at 85-mph
- Tesla Model S shape at 90-mph
- Lightyear-one shape at 100-mph
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With an additional weight penalty, the trailer could carry a secondary pack. It's conceivable that, a family could take a roundtrip camping excursion without ever requiring a stop for recharging. Bladders would dictate the length of any trip segment duration.

BamZipPow (07-29-2022), NeilBlanchard (05-11-2021)