View Single Post
Old 02-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #26 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Gen- III Prius as template

I give it a go.
Many carmakers are doing everything they can not to use it. Especially after 'The Simpson's' episode, on FOX Television years ago. Chis Payne paid $50,000 in royalties to use a clip of it in his 'Who Killed the Electric Car' documentary film. The cultural connection is spot-on.
Ironically, today's most expensive, and highest performance, boutique, automobiles use Toyota's profile. Even Rolls-Royce.
Every so many decades, there's a panic at the design departments. Those with a vested interest in design obsolescence, become fearful that energy efficiency requirements or public understanding will push design towards ' look-alike' cars ( ever since the mid-1920s ).
Presently, the particulars of an efficient transition to vehicle electrification poses an even stronger incentive towards ' Prius-esque' design.
HONDA Motors and the Toyoda Family were the only ones to take President Clinton's / Albert Gore's, Program for a new Generation Vehicle ( PNGV ) seriously, while legacy carmakers, correctly presumed, that they could defeat the initiative in he courts.
The Honda Insight and Prius were direct offspring of that initiative. And both carmakers clearly understood the implications of aerodynamics on performance.
Subsequent iterations of the Insight and Prius have only improved.
BEV derivatives of the two, with Tesla mirrors of the two, would come in at Cd 0.21. All skirts, active suspension would take them below that. Elongation, even lower.
I'd would be great to see the roads flooded with them. I have no illusions about that happening though. Emotion trumps reason.