View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #147 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
How long must the test take in seconds to be accurate, and what is a minimum speed for an accurate test ?
I have a road nearby that has a good flat stretch, but then has lots of hills and stop lights.
Speed limit is 50 MPH.
If i go through the flat section of the road at a steady 50 mph, I will get 1 - 2 seconds of speed change data to work with.

I will be using a GPS app on my phone to give exact speed. I have two and use them in unison.

I plan to tap the 'reset' feature as I enter the target zone, and 'pause' as I exit, so that the data is not skewed as I begin to drive towards a hill, or slow for a stop light.
This is pretty cumbersome since it's just me in the car.
Ideally, i need a second person to do this and watch the speed readout.
Any ideas on how I could do it different ?
I think i could maybe just video the phones display and verbally mention as I hit a target and exit.

Regarding hand throttles, that is overly complicated and costly for me.
Thank you for the links though guys !
I have some mushy clay ( pottery clay ) that is very easy to form. It keeps its' shape after you release it.
I'll have that in a small plastic bag under the gas pedal and just featherfoot the pedal till I get to target speed.
I'll then be able to make the wooden throttle stop with a screw and use that.

If i suddenly need to accelerate, i will have an eye hook in the side of the plank hooked to a line that I can pull sideways and yank it out.

I'm eager to see some posts of how you all have done your testing, and ideas you had on performing the test safely and accurately.