View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
sam
Recovering Leadfoot

Hello, and thanks for being there!

Hi, I'm new to the site. Saw a short mention of it on the ViroPOP podcast. I am trying to drive slower, and do my bit for the environment (and my pocketbook, and national security, etc., etc.) I am just really glad to have finally found this place online.

We have a 2001 VW bug with the 1.9L TDI diesel engine, 5 speed manual. It gets about 45 mpg on the hwy going 75-80 mph. We bought it used on Earth Day, 2002, to try to save some oil for my daughter's generation. I am going to do a test next week to see how much better I can do going SLOWER on a hwy trip. I get about 40 mpg around town.

We also have a 2004 Honda Element with the 4 cyl gas engine, auto trans. It gets about 20 mpg around town, about 25 on the hwy going 70-75 mph. When we shopped around for the Honda, we tried two other 4 cyl. SUVs out there (Jeep Liberty, Nissan Xterra) and liked the Element best. I don't think you can even get an Xterra with a 4 cyl. any more.

I'd really like to do anything economically reasonable I can find to make the Element get better mileage. I know, I know, it looks like a toaster on wheels--probably one of the least aerodynamic vehicles on the planet. Some people call them "the packing crate for the CR-V." But, I wonder if anyone makes a pan for underneath to make the bottom less chunky--or smaller mirrors, or even an air dam.... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will pump the tires up to 50 psi or whatever the max. is.

On ViroPOP they showed how some guy put a nose and tail cone on an old Civic and got 90 mpg or something like that... Is that for real?