View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
We're saying the similar things, just from different ends of the optimism/pessimism spectrum.

I've been excited about EVs since the 90's (and built that electric car in HS), so that's a long time to maintain excitement.

I believe we're nearing the end of the "Innovators" phase and entering the "Early Adopters" phase.

While everyone on EV forums get excited about new models that are sold in tiny numbers in select markets, I've been maintaining that Toyota is my indicator of when to get excited. Toyota is announcing new EV models, so time to allow for some excitement.
I would consider myself in the middle on the optimist / pessimist scale. I think the big movements in the market will happen towards the middle to end of the decade. I also expect the USA to lag the rest of the world by 5 - 10 years.

Toyota is a good indicator. They haven't been the most profitable automaker for years (maybe decades) by misreading the market. It is looking like 2023 - 2025 is going to be the time frame automakers start getting serious about selling EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Is the Archie the closest thing to an EV for poor people?
A used EV is the EV for the poor. There are plenty of low mileage first generation EVs in the $5,000 - $10,000 range.