View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
CVTCivic
EcoModding Lurker

CVTCivic - '17 Honda Civic 4D Touring Sedan
90 day: 39.16 mpg (US)
I hope you don't mind if I dig up your seven year old thread. I stumpeld across this thread because I was curious what the Ecomodder community thinks about the Garmin EcoChallenge.

A short explanation for all who don't know what that actually is: EcoChallenge is part of EcoRoute, which you can choose since 2010 in GPS satnavs by Garmin. Here you can see how it looks:

https://youtu.be/Tbjmw5BBMYM

The build in satnav in my car is from Garmin and that's why I have EcoChallenge and use it from time to time.
My car is from 2017 but I think still it's not connected to the car and just gets the data from the built in GPS antenna.

Unfortunately that's the reason why it's not very useful like @oldtamiyaphile and @Mcgiiver already said. It's not a useful instrumentation.

Still I kind of like the idea behind EcoChallenge, because it's like playing a game were you can basically win and loose points. And it can be motivating to hypermile your car just to beat the result from your last drive.

Are there any apps around these days which have a similar system? Like collecting points for doing hypermiling, loosing points when flooring and when braking hard?