View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 04:32 PM   #60 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
I would imagine the Civic HX 5 speed trans would be amazing. I have a 92 CX 5 speed in my attic waiting for use one day. lol
Has the somewhat rare ratios that drop the cruising rpms at 70 mph to 2000 rpm.

Looks like the HX trans with 185/70/14 tires on your civic would get you 2150 rpm for 70 mph. Thats not bad at all.
That's pretty low, the Honda Stream trans I have now has me running at 3K RPM at 70 mph. I thought I wouldn't like this transmission's 4th gear compared to my stock 4 speed, but it's actually alright. The higher cruising RPM doesn't seem to have cost me any MPG, probably because I live in a somewhat hilly area and it climbs hills much more effortlessly at a little higher RPM. It also pulls noticeably better in the lower gears since gears 1-3 are shorter as well.

With the 5 speed I am planning on getting, 5th gear is a bit taller than my 4th gear. 3K RPM will be at 74 MPH. However, I don't think I will feel much of a decrease in climbing performance from cruising at 2800 vs 3K since the manual trans is significantly lighter and is more efficient since it has less moving parts and no internal oil pump.