View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 10:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
some_other_dave
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
The one issue I didn't see him address is the weak spot in most cars, where the large holes in the side of the car are - called doors.
Toward the end of the second video, he mentioned he would be adding the back half of the roll cage. That implies that the front half is either in there already, or is at least planned.

The most effective cages serve as space-frames and go to the suspension pickup points, holding them in place relative to the rest of the car. Some rule sets prohibit that, or limit the number of attachment points, so that is not always done. (There may be other, e.g. aesthetic, considerations as well.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
A lesson of the video might be that the Tesla truck might have a lot more rigidity than an F150, assuming its odd look is because it is a true "space frame" rather than a ladder frame.
Does the Cybertruck have a space frame? That almost always refers specifically to a structure made of some sort of tubing, consisting of mostly triangles for strength, with lots of space in between them. I would have thought that the Cybertruck had a unibody or possibly monocoque construction.

Yeah... A quick Google search shows Musk talking up the "exoskeleton", which looks more like a monocoque or semi-monocoque than a space frame.

Oops, looks like I may have slipped back toward hair-splitting. Sorry!

-soD