View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
I followed redpoint5's strategy until the laptop died. I don't suggest you follow my current strategy, but for a point of comparison....

A $70 Raspberry Pi 4 draws 3.4W at idle and 7.6W under load. It displays Youtube videos with no problems, some programs I'd like to run (Blender) require Python libraries not available on the default OS. Biggest knock is a system clock is an add-on board.

Quote:
How to run Windows on the Raspberry Pi - Howchoo
https://howchoo.com/pi/run-windows-raspberry-pi
At the end of the day, you'll be hard-pressed to run a full Windows operating system on the Raspberry Pi. If you're mainly after the look and feel of Windows, you can look for a Windows themed Linux skin. For example, this project on Gnome Look mimics the look and feel of Windows 10. 3.
I've seen mini-PCs with Windows 10 in the $150 price range, but I don't care enough to find an example. The key to low power is the ARM processor. My preferred solution is the Apple Mac Mini (with the ARM M-1). Yesterday I took $700 out of the credit union and went to the Apple store in the East University next to the Duck store. They're on back order for 4-6 weeks.

Amazon wants the business, but I need a brick and mortar solution, because I found a post from Malaysia that said they found Minis manufactured in Malaysia and in China. I'm Okay with the former but not the latter.