View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 12:01 AM   #77 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I've seen various figures quoted but can't say for certain. I have two data points, however:

1) In the G1 Insight, the CVT had an EPA (adjusted) highway fuel economy of 49, while the manual was 60. The manual has slightly taller gearing. Real-world, a manual peaks at ~100mpg @ 50mpg, while an auto will struggle to see above 70mpg at any speed.

2) My wife and brother both have 2007 Honda Fits. Hers is a manual (EPA 34 highway) while his is an auto (EPA 35 highway). The auto has a much taller top gear. Real world, he's averaging mid 30's mpg, while she's averaging low to mid 40's, despite shorter gearing.
Wow that's a big difference! So perhaps I will be getting more MPG than ever once I get a 5 speed. I was wondering if I may lose a little highway MPG compared to the stock 4 speed auto because of the shorter gearing, but it seems that the higher mechanical efficiency of a manual trans often makes up for the loss from the shorter gearing.

I wish I could find the post again, but someone on Civicforums had a 7th gen Civic EX with a 4 speed auto and then traded it for one with a 5 speed manual (the EX 5 speed has very short gearing) and the 5 speed got several more MPG city and highway despite the fact that the shorter gearing had him running at 3200 RPM @ 70 vs the auto's 2700 RPM @ 70. Both cars were coupes with the same D17A2 VTEC engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to EcoCivic For This Useful Post:
Ecky (02-20-2021)