View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #126 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid View Post
7.3L is about 10-11MPG on average so 26.6 is incorrect... the best bet is to find a wreaked newer diesel that is a 4 banger.... most of those 4 banger are getting 30-35ish in pickups...

the top part of the gas tank is larger i burn 15 of 25.5 gallons before it hits the 1/2 mark on my tahoe
10-11mg in a diesel sounds depressing seeing how there are a few getting up to 15mpg in V8 gasoline trucks of similar sizes. Not that there wouldn't be an advantage with the 4 banger.

I wonder if it would be advantageous to deactivate certain cylinders in a large diesel. The more the load the more effcient so maybe that would help. ?? I guess it depends on the type of injection system, whether it's a common rail or an injector pump, for an example.

With an injector pump, adding a few extremely high pressure 12V solenoid valves on certain injector lines and then routing that back into the fuel return would do the trick.

There may be problems with the turbo spooling correctly when running on just a few cylinders though. Maybe multiple staged turbos would do the trick. ??