View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 02:54 AM   #130 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
I don't know Dodge too great, but looks like the US options was a 5.9L and later a 6.7L and I'd need a 2003+ truck, maybe even newer to get away from the "cumapart" era of the engine, unless that's the newer engines and the old ones were the reliable ones.

I wonder what other applications used the 3.9L Cummings. Kind of late now since I already own the 7.3L but would be interesting to read a bit more about it assuming it's used in the US in something. Never understood why the US has hardly any diesel options. I guess they require a little more attention (like starting temps, block heater etc) and people here on average are too lazy for that. Why else would automatics dominate the market here, while most other countries manuals are still very strong (from what I read atleast).

I'm not even sure if there's a small pickup here offered with a diesel engine. My neighbor mentioned a Chevy Luv with a diesel in it when he was a teen. I know Toyota had a diesel in their 80's era pickups but extremely uncommon here and a running truck is like $4k+ while a gas one is $1-1.5k in my area in similar shape.

I know the big Ford trucks had an option to come with a Cummins, know next to nothing about them though. The GVWR would be too high for me to use the truck directly, but an engine swap could be interesting thing to ponder. I'm sure those trucks have horrible MPG, but they also have very low geared axles for hauling massive loads.

Random/interesting idea, take a 5.9/6.7L cummings, disable 3 cylinders (and keep it balanced yet) and throw it in a small vehicle, small truck or rwd car. Could give impressive mpg while still being fairly powerful. Small diesel engines in vehicles seem to be so uncommon that, that route would almost make sense.