View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
whitevette
EcoModding Apprentice

Fuse vs. removal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunders1313 View Post
I had somewhat of an electrical question. If I just remove the bulbs from the DRLs is it the same as removing the fuse? I want to get rid of the DRLs and reduce the load on the alternator, would removing the bulbs work?
Be prepared for a lot of flak on this question.

My 2 cents : Stick with the pure theory!

If the bulb is removed, the circuit is opened. No current will flow, no work is done, no alternator effort (watts output) is involved. A fuse removed is the same thing ( no current flow) and is a lot easier!

There are those who will argue differently ; ask them what is the difference between bare terminals on the alternator and fuses removed / circuits deactivated? Nothing. Nada. The alternator spins, voltage is created across the terminals, but no current flows. No current (I), no watts consumed (W), no W= volts X amps ( volts times zero = zero ). No additional drag on the engine's torque curve.

Then, there is the old emergency brake trick...one click up / on and the DRLs go out. But, the dash warning light ( a small wattage lamp) goes on. Will this bother you? ...the alternator? Hmmm....