View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Kevin's Krazy Kash Kreator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
  1. Painting your kitchen cabinets: $200 - 600, but worth $5,000 - 15,000.
  2. Fake marble contact paper $25 on Amazon. We would need two rolls. Less than $200, but worth $2,000 - 3,000.
  3. Tile refinishing, $23.70 on Amazon. He says the whole process would cost $150 - 350, but be worth $3,000 - 5,000.
  4. Depopcornificating your ceiling. This is the first time that he gives an indication of how much your labor is worth. He suggests only working on one ceiling per weekend, but says that materials would cost $200 - 300, while this is worth $4,000 - 8,000.
  5. Upgrading baseboards: $400 for $3,500 - 4,500.
  6. Replacing hardware like door handles and hinges: $500 - 700 for $3,000 - 4,000.
  7. Replacing landscaping mulch: $40 for $1,000 - 1,500.
  8. Replacing light switches and light fixtures: $1,000 for $4,000 - 5,000. He recommends these instead of can lights: Lithonia Lighting WF6 LED 30K MW M6 13W Ultra Thin 6" Dimmable LED Recessed Ceiling Light, 3000K, White.
  9. Pressure-wash your house instead of repainting: $130 for $1,000 - 2,000.
I keep mentioning the professor that I have been taking out. She is supposed to drive up this weekend and I have been trying to clean up the house.

My family has been trying to mess it up again.

If they didn't take naps I would never be able to get ahead!

However, I made oatmeal raisin cookies, and I am only sharing them when my family cleans, so that seems to be working.

For now.

We are not painting Mom's cabinets, we like the wood grain, but since there aren't handles they are pretty dirty in places.

Kevin says to spray TSP on them.

I thought that fake marble contact paper was tacky for a cheap kitchen, while basic women seem to love it.

They also seem to take too many shortcuts.

I just want it to look like laminate in good condition, not scratched, faded, and overheated laminate.

Mom wants fake marble, but I looked on Wednesday, and couldn't get any here by Saturday, although I need to see what kind of Contact Paper Dollar Tree has.

Contact paper isn't paper. It is plastic. Kevin calls it Formica foil tops.

They aren't foil either!

Allegedly nobody else in-town sells it.

Mom still wants a light over the sink. She told me "Don't wire it, just plug it into the outlet!"

For some reason I feel nervous about switches by lights by the sink!

Kevin says to soak your gas stove burners, etc. in ammonia in Ziploc bags overnight, so I will do that.

Have you ever had a nasty range hood? It seems like nobody has this problem. All of the instructions that I find on-line say "Just wipe it!"

Really?

When I have tried to clean this various cleaners don't seem to have any effect.

I sprayed it down today and almost nothing happened, but I poured Dawn all over it, let it sit, started scrubbing, and the first spot looked clean almost right away!

However, scrubbing the rest of it just made me tired!

...until the paint started peeling!

I don't think that should have been so easy!

Some of the paint had already bubbled off, so I am just going to scrape off the rest, remove the hood, take it out back, degrease it again, sand, use high heat appliance paint, and reinstall.

The stove has some similar issues, but I would need to take the whole oven out back!