Thread: LRR vs. Weight
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 05:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
alexshock
EcoModding Apprentice

Auris - '16 Toyota Auris
Team Toyota
90 day: 40.54 mpg (US)

Hyundai - '20 Hyundai i30
90 day: 29.37 mpg (US)
Thank you, CapriRacer!
I have read all your links. The biggest surprise for me was that wider tires are better for LRR.

I have even found a good article from EU commission (here) and a good calculator for those who are as lazy as me (https://ec.europa.eu/energy/sites/en...culator_en.xls).
In my case it predicts difference between A and C tires as 0.2 l/100km (1.7 mpg).
It even shows the difference between urban and highway (spoiler: LLR more affects highway), but in my case it is almost the same.

So, now I have doubts between Continental with "A" index and 7.8 kg weight vs. Fulda with "C" index and 6.5 kg weight.
(I don't have final decision as I still want to do experiments with lightest ever tires , In my conditions it is not only an aggressive stop-n-go, but also a lot of hills and ramps in the city.)

In the best case I will reduce 14.4kg with Fulda which is actually exactly 1% (!) of the car weight. (Not counting rim weight here.)
And only 8.3 kg with Continental difference between them should not cover FE gain from LRR...