View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #107 (permalink)
Flakbadger
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
More experimentation with rear wheel covers.

Decided I want to give the rear wheel covers another crack.

My plan is the following:

1)
Make some good looking rear wheel skirts out of foam.

2) Find a plastic shop in town that can make vacuum molds, which can then be installed into the vehicle.

Here is one of them, pressure-fit into place. I can tell already I need it to be more "sticky-outy" near the bottom or it's not going to clear the wheel.

I cut the foam with a hot wire cutter, then spent a bit of time with some 80-grit sandpaper on a sanding block. Wear a respirator, kids; this stuff isn't meant to be inhaled.

A shot from the rear of the car looking toward the front. The panel doesn't line up perfectly while being pressure fit, but would if I were to put it on the "right" way.

This is about an hour or so of work. I've got a few ideas. Originally I'd hoped to make one single shape that could just be swapped side-to-side, but apparently the wheel wells aren't symmetrical from front to back, so that means it's going to be two separate pieces.

Let me know your thoughts. As for me, I'm back to work on it.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flakbadger For This Useful Post:
19bonestock88 (06-05-2021), aerohead (04-18-2022), Cd (02-26-2021), Drifter (04-15-2022)