Thread: nuclear plants
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #57 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I guess it was too obvious that you would integrate some heating wires/surface into the windmill blades...
So you're running heating wires in the blades, thus using up a large part of the energy you're supposed to be generating? Think about capital cost, efficiency, and payback time :-)

Quote:
Oklo? Some fission stopped 2 billion years ago, and was covered (by renewable energy ) and that's gonna take care of everyones concerns over the next few millennia while our radioactive poop is still steaming?
Should. The point is, all the stuff that was covered up (or its decay products) is still there. It hasn't migrated more than a few meters (I forget the exact figure, but you can easily look it up), in spite of everything a billion years of climate change & plate tectonics could throw at it. And it's certainly not in an arid region these days. Seems to me that's about as good a practical demonstration as anyone could ask for.

Of course sensible people wouldn't be burying this "waste", they'd be reprocessing it into the next generation of fuel.

Quote:
On the other hand, people go off the grid all the time, it's just a matter of priorities for those folks.
I know I've said this before, but those people don't really go off the grid. All the components that went into their OTG power systems, all the appliances that those OTG systems power, and a great deal else that went into building their houses, were made by an industrial base that runs on the grid. Remove that grid, and as things wear out and can't be replaced, their OTG lifestyle will slowly deterioriate.