View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 02:33 AM   #151 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Quick update on the truck, my dad swapped out the rear drive shaft for me from the parts truck, new U joints installed in it and it still has the drive line vibration. Either case, it needed the parts, just more fun trying to track down the root cause.

He also drained the transfercase fluid and found a lot of metal flakes, not a good sign. It was a bit hard shifting in and out of 4x4 at first, the indicator switch sticks fairly often now but the physical shifting was working pretty good since I've been putting it in 4x4 and low fairly often to get the linkages working good again. Going to refill and probably check it again at the next oil change, possible it's just way over due on a fluid change.

Talking about the transfer case, it was removed at some point or replaced, it's cleaner than everything else and appears to have been painted gray. Besides the metal shavings, it hasn't made any noises and such that I've heard. Hopefully the vibration isn't a bad bearing in the transfer case. Worst case, I do have a parts truck, it vibrated a lot, but it has extremely badly cupped front tires and the vibration is in the front end on that truck, someone didn't get an alignment for a long time.

Water pump gasket is weeping some, shouldn't be too big of a deal to get sealed back up. A new water pump is fairly expensive so if the bearings are good and the seals are good, I'll probably just keep running it. Thermostat housing I noticed was getting pretty rusty on the truck, and it's also leaking a little at the base where the thermostat is, so bought a new housing (dirt cheap just over $8) and a 203 deg thermostat.

Kind of crazy just how many things were neglected on this truck. I think once all is said and done, it will still be cheaper than any other truck in this area I've seen with the diesel and manual trans, 4x4, and extended cab that I could find. Next cheapest was about $8-10k with a bit better body.

I also have a possible trailer I might be buying, 12k lb 18ft low deck, no dove tail with dual axle brakes for $2600. Most I've been seeing are $3k-6k. The guy has to transfer the title into his name yet, so have around 2 weeks min to wait for that process and I'll have a 2.5hr drive to go grab it (roughly $45 in fuel).