View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 02:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
The Dymaxion had a Cd of 0.25. I think that the upturned nose on it is responsible for a lot of frontal lift and increased drag, given the slippery profile used as the basis for the design.

My next design is going to do away with the outboard wheels altogether for sure, now that I figured out how I might do the wheelwells. I plan to keep the same front track so that it can fit through bollards on a bike trail, but extend the wheelbase. I want to eventually be able to corner around 0.8-0.9G without tipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Living in Southern California makes a vehicle such as these a year round practicality.
Mine is practical enough to use in the winter with 1-2" of snow on the ground, with VERY careful attention to the vehicle's dynamics while in operation. It did slide around a lot at 30 mph and I need to have a wheel repaired because some snow/ice may have damaged it. Although I DID have to walk to work when there was a foot of snow on the ground. The rear wheel had insufficient traction to plow it through the snow and the snow would get caught in the footwells.

I also ride it in the rain, albeit the front wheels like to splash water in my face. I'm planning to install a windshield and roof for it when I get the chance, and will be designing a wiper system.