View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post

East of Yellowstone is a place called Bighorn Canyon. That seems to get skipped by everyone and it's really great. Badlands, deep, deep canyon, remote mountains surrounding, great indigenous people history and artifacts and my daughters favorite, the wild horse preserve. About 130 completely wild horses who summer on high wildflower filled meadows that run 30 degrees cooler than the badlands below. It's like a 15x15 mile area where you might only see one other car. Petroglyphs, ice caves, teepee rings, fighting wild stallions, and fields of green grass and wildflowers at like 8000 feet over an orange canyon badlands area.

The road up there is tough, that's one of the main reasons we bought this camper. A regular camper would never make it, and it's a long day to try and do all at once.
Thanks for the tips. My wife did a brief visit to Yellowstone on a business trip but I haven't been. We plan to do a 10 day trip to that area in the next few years and we will have to check out Bighorn Canyon. Sounds like the extra clearance on our campervan will come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
That's why I like full-size vans, as they usually can fit most of the ammenities inside without the need for a trailer
To do it over again I would have gone with a full size van instead of our Astro van. The Astro van works for 2 people for a week or do but for our next fan I really want

1. Standing room
2. An inside kitchen (even if we don't cook inside all the time I want that option for rainy / windy days) The extra 32 inches of length of a Chevy Express would make an inside kitchen possible.

We headed out to Cottonwood Canyon State Park this last weekend. It dropped to 28 F outside while van got down to 40 F. Way better than sleeping in a tent. It was nice to see it in a different part of the year - we usually use it as a base to float fish the John Day River in May / June.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotton Wood Canyon State Park Scaled.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	30262
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-01-2021)