View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Who's tunnel?
Good question. The sources where I read of that 0.25 figure didn't say.

Quote:
I've always suspected the same, But if you look at the 3/4 front view you can see the 'air keel'. It's actually a [Luigi] Colani-esque move, massive front wheel spats feeding a central jet.
But under what conditions will it actually work?

I think the foot holes on my velomobile are helping to prevent some of the expected frontal lift. Mine is surprisingly stable while careening at 60 mph down a hill!

Quote:
Lots of negative camber and a high roll center. .
That is part of the plan. 3 degrees negative camber should do it justice, which is what I have now. A higher roll center will require a custom design of chassis and suspension versus what I have now. I think a wheelbase extension of an extra foot or so would also greatly improve things, as well as a more reclined seat to reduce center of gravity AND frontal area. Maybe even 1G cornering or more is possible. If the traction limits of the tires are exceeded, then it will be almost tip-proof, which would be the ideal.

I think a frontal area of ~0.45 m^2 may be possible with the current 980mm(39") front track width while having the airflow going passed the sides of the body remain tangent with the front wheels. That design might necessitate a large front greenhouse area like the Go-One EVO-K velomobile or the Versatron Vector in order to see in front of my knes/feet while pedaling, which would not be pleasant in the summer, but there are mitigation strategies to help with that such as a tinted polycarbonate to filter UV light, NACA ducts, and a PLC-controlled thermos filled with ice water. It would really take some building and experimentation to see what is needed, as it may be possible to still make such a reclined setup allow my field of vision towards the road visible over the kneebumps.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Toecutter For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-03-2021)