View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 02:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
octinum
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Citroën is often praised for its handling, even though it's not the same as it used to be.

I also have a taste for some rare cars, but I consider practicality a priority.
If wifey accepted the Xantia, C5 would be extraurban-only. Sometimes I consider replacing the Xantia with a small city car, but I don't find them safe enough for Turkey. Nightmares of an idiot rear ending the car; I'd prefer some boot between the rear bumper and the child seat at the back.
Quote:
AFAIK the 1st generation is still made in Argentina, where it seems to have effectively fulfilled the role as a replacement for the 2CV
Makes sense! Never driven a deux chevaux myself. Would give much love to a red one I guess.
Quote:
Sure a controlled charge is less likely to lead into trouble, and so is the sequential injection. Most of the times I see frozen intake manifolds, it's on vehicles fitted with a non-electronic fumigation setup, and those are so bad they lead to manifold freezing even with CNG (which is more common as a motor fuel in my country).

You mean the ones with direct injection? Some conversion kit manufacturers claim a liquid-phase LPG injection can be done through the stock fuel rails on engines fitted with direct injection.
I understand now, you're right, I'm talking about converting a proper sequential injection system.

Not necessarily the direct injection ones, but the main thing with liquid LPG injection was those as you say; gasoline normally cools down the combustion chamber, gaseous LPG does not.

Small turbo engines rely on very rich mixtures under high load conditions to prevent preignition. When you switch to LPG in gaseous form, you remove cooling effect of gasoline vaporizing, whether direct or port injected. Hot spots and high exhaust temperatures follow, even if you somehow avoid preignition (with high octane of LPG mix).

LPG as vapor also replaces some of the air in the intake charge. So less oxygen to burn an already low energy content fuel.

What I'm thinking is to use the cooling effect of LPG as it vaporizes in the intake manifold. This should also be a simpler system without the need for the evaporator. As you said, some manufacturers just use the original gasoline injectors for two purposes, so a common, cheap injector from a gasoline car should work.

I wouldn't want to use the cars own injectors though; this is not a mass production project. Should be easily reversible, or at least I should be able to drive the car home with own petrol form in case I screw up.