View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TES111 View Post
Has anyone considered making a heat driven motor or a 50 / 50 heat, exhaust gas motor to drive an alternator? Base the idea on a rear end of a turbo. But use a blade less rotor such as a Tesla turbine for reduce power loss from the engine. And the heat driven motor could use the waste energy from the exhaust tube to drive the alternator. While the waste heat is not free it certainly wasn't being used to begin with.

Just a thought

I know nothing
TES111,we got into this about a year ago.I still think about it,here's where my thoughts have taken me.---------------- In Israel,solar ponds are used to drive a working fluid,like R-134A to superheat and drive a compound turbo-generator for electric power.Some of the energy is lost to a compressor,necessary to get the fluid to condense back into a liquid,to repeat the process.--------------------------- I considered capturing both cooling system and exhaust heat,run it through a triple-bundle heat-exchanger to provide the heat.I wanted to make it a hermetically sealed system.It's never gotten past the idea stage,however,since for every gallon of fuel turned into work,two gallons are lost to heat.So the payoff is huge if you can do it.------------------------- The adiabatic-compound-turbo engine,using very high temperatures(only ceramics will do it)and compound turbos is good for around 100% increase in efficiency.--------------------------- Coupled with the R-134A system,efficiency would pass above 100% gains.