View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 01:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
With many people actually living in rural areas around the world, and suburbs outside the U.S. often not featuring the same level of amenities or easy access to services, it's not easy to overcome the limitations of a BEV in order to enforce a one-size-fits-all approach.
And at the same time some are saying that COVID is going to cause a wave of people to move out of the cities and into the rurals. Then again, giving up McDonald's, Super Walmart and EV's would be a tough price to pay to move out of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Considering many households won't afford more than one vehicle, a plug-in hybrid may remain the easiest option. Sure sometimes an ICE might seem to be a dead weight to be carried around, but in a hybrid it might get downsized enough to not be much of a burden.
True. And having just one car in a family actually makes a lot of sense to me. The main reason I own two vehicles is ironically my insurance is cheaper with two cars than with just one. Even cheaper than the cost of the yearly tags. But of course now I have to pay for tires and oil changes on two cars.

I do wish more plug-in hybrids were made available. It looks like people are pushing for all electric or nothing. I just wish I had an EV option for around town so I didn't have to cold start my engine and not let it get up to running temps so often. Although looking into some sort of enclosed pedal powered vehicle would probably be the best thing to do than to look to EV technology for such short distances. Maybe something big enough for the wife and kids.