View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #700 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
Toecutter,
I too was skeptical of Centurion data and that was one of the driving forces to build one. I am no longer feeling skeptical! Your GT6 project is definitely of interest! Being small and light it has potential - but there are space limitations as well. Your GT6 falls into the same category as the electric Centurion here that awaits battery technology to take one more leap. Is there a build thread on your GT6? If so I'd like to follow your adventures with it!!
-
~CrazyJerry~
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ods-13532.html

I think the battery technology has been good enough for quite a while. The motor/controller technology took another major leap forward within the past 5 years as well. There is potential for the Centurion to consume < 150 Wh/mile as is if you keep the total weight under GVWR of the platform and use a modern synchronous reluctance AC drive system.

If you were to use a completely custom airfoil body designed to cut drag to the minimum instead of the Centurion body(Lets say, 0.15 Cd and 13 sq ft area), and the potential for only half that consumption(~70-80 wh/mi @ 70 mph) on a Spitfire or GT6 platform exists, an efficiency which the 3-wheeled Aptera is currently demonstrating while having a large-ish frontal area comparable to that of a modern small hatchback.

It would be interesting to get some roll down test data to determine the Crr and CdA figures for the Centurion though. I'd be surprised if it was an improvement over the Spitfire, which is already a fairly slippery car at a Cd of 0.39-0.42 with a tiny frontal area of 15.2 sq ft.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 03-07-2021 at 01:27 PM..