View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Flakbadger
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I think it's not 'Covid' directly, but the urban rot that it has exposed. Especially the teacher's unions.
Also all of the folks who worked for companies that "couldn't be moved online," or "had to have" their workers in-person---all of those commuters who traveled every day from one town to another just to get to work no longer have to do so.

It's pretty incredible how many "we can't do that" companies did "that" after all when 'rona came around.

My wife is an accountant for a state organization, and works 100% remote at a job that even 8 months ago "couldn't be done from home."

She has had to go into the physical building twice since starting this job in September, both times after-hours, and both times to do some antiquated physical paperwork, that if it was migrated online she could have done from her work PC anyhow. Of course, working for the state, she's also punching in commands to use the MS-DOS (yes, you read that right in 2021) accounting software, so I mean how much can we REALLY hope for with respect to technological innovation...

Anyway, my point is this; many of the reasons for urban centers becoming the focal point of the modern world have been bypassed by online work, and while a bunch of these soulless bureaucracy-based corporations and companies and organizations will force workers to come back, a lot of 'em won't. This could be a paradigm shift in how workplaces are organized and how work gets done.

Could be.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White