View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
ISV-2K8Rondo
EcoModding Lurker

Telescope Transporter - '17 Kia Forte 5
Hypermiling a CVT?

I currently have a Kia Forte 5 hatchback. EPA ratings are 25 city / 28 combined / 34 hwy. I have a suburban commute and the combined rating is a close fit to the type of driving I do.

I currently average 32-33 mpg in combined driving in the winter months and 37-38 mpg in summer due to hypermiling techniques. That's anywhere from a 35% boost over the combined EPA ratings in spring through fall. I don't get the same increase if it's strictly highway miles, as I can typically get 39-40 mpg, ~15% more than ratings, even in spring/fall.

I've given thought to my next vehicle and one that caught my eye was the Honda Civic hatchback. It's rated 31 city / 40 highway, which looks like I'd get a solid fuel economy boost over my current vehicle if I hypermiled it, but...

...the Honda Civic hatchback is a CVT. One thing I've heard about these types of transmissions is that coasting doesn't really give you those gas-free miles.

Coasting is a big reason--perhaps the biggest reason--I'm able to get the sizable bump in fuel economy. My concern is that I'd get a CVT and not be able to deviate much from the EPA ratings, though still paying the premium to have the technology vs. an automatic.

So for those that have CVT's, how much over the EPA ratings can you get, and what hypermiling techniques do you have to use to get an appreciable (>20%) boost over the EPA ratings?

--ISV