View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 10:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Oven cleaner didn't seem to clean the stove grates and plates. I bought 3 more bottles of ammonia and soaked everything together.

It was underwhelming. Did I hit the point of diminishing returns?

Mom told me to use Mr. Clean on the shower. I let it wait 15 minutes and used my power brush. That worked better than anything else, but my batteries ran out before I finished, and they were freshly-charged when I started!

I cleared and cleaned the counters and tried putting down contact paper. I don't think that they emphasize how much water you need enough. I sprayed the counter, but it quickly dried.

I think that you need to pour the water! If it isn't standing it isn't enough!

You also need to make it as simple as possible. I tried to start in the corner, but I was trying to deal with the backsplash (in a corner), and the leading edge (also in a corner). I put it down next to the sink and thought that I did a good job, but I couldn't push it into the corner with the backsplash, so I ended up with a bit of a gap. I struggled to line up another sheet and just didn't seem to be able to get the other side straight--or get it into the corner with the backsplash. Then I noticed a bubble in the first sheet and tried to gently work it with a credit card, but I ended up with a hole. The second sheet was even worse, so I removed everything, and my family immediately covered the counter with junk.

Also, some people use squeegees, but I couldn't find a good one. Dollar Tree, Dollar General, and Family Dollar didn't have anything. Walmart had one with a handle that extended 8'. I bought a Rain-X one from O'Reilly's and I am going to record a video of how hilariously horrible it is. All that it does is squeak and streak and it does both terribly.

I covered the junk with towels and sprayed some cabinets with orange cleaner, then wiped it down. There are still many bits of dried food, but it looks much better, although it still looks a little grey where we grab them.