View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
I think inductive charging is a good idea, but I don't understand how it doesn't inductively heat the battery pack or the underside of the car.

I would like to see how they get the solar cells on a solar car so flat and smooth, no-one seems to have done that as a DIY.

I think maybe a boat tailed insight gen1 with roof, hood and boat tail solar cells could get more benefit due to being able to lean burn more often. Possibly 600-800w peak which is around 10% of the required energy at 60mph.
In which use cases would inductive charging be preferred to plugging in? Inductive charging is inefficient, and the lost energy does create unwanted heat. It takes an extra 5 seconds to deal with a plug, so I just can't imagine who is so lazy they can't be bothered to do that, especially in comparison to the inconvenience of going to the petrol station and waiting for the pump to dispense the fuel.

The Lightyear One has 5 m^2 of solar panel installed. Under absolutely ideal conditions that's about 1kW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
I wonder what the trade-off is between the energy provided by solar panels on a car when the sun is shining vs the aerodynamic loss due to the shape and texture of the panels anytime the car is moving.
This was asked in the other solar EV thread, and the answer is it depends. There's too many variables to make a blanket statement, but the question is among the reasons why it isn't "time to re-visit solar hybrids". Placing the weight at the worst possible place, at the highest point on the vehicle, is not good. People would be better served with a 1kW larger battery (perhaps the extra range solar would have otherwise provided) located in the best place to carry weight, the lowest point of the vehicle.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-17-2021 at 05:30 PM..