View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

The question has come up: WHY?? Why not just buy a new van??

So here is my bottom line.

I could buy a new Express van that can get 30MPG at say 50 to 70K. How many miles will I need to drive it to cover the major cost VS my old van’s 14 to 20MPG?? I kand think the new van will never last long enough to even get close.

AND I can expect very costly repair costs as well. My front wheel bearings cost $50.00 VS 150.00 for hubs, my 4l80 can be rebuilt for $200.00 to 1000.00 VS $3k for the newer transmissions, my cast iron engine with cast iron heads are able to hand an overheating problem far better that most aluminum new engines, a Northstar over heats and it is junk…Worst comes to worst I can swap in a good used 350 FAR cheaper than a2.8 Turbo diesel of small V6.

AND from a lot of reports these custom vans have crappy workmanship. LOTS of complaints.

And I would be wasting a lot of value tearing out much of the interior to fix it how I want it.

So I paid $3200.00 about 15 years ago for my custom Van. During that time I have only needed a few repairs that I was able to do almost all myself.

PLUS parts are a LOT cheaper for these old cars and vans.

And I took my time building my new engine..and drive line, all rebuilt as best as I can get it done, so I figure I will be adding about $7000.00 to this van, a van I have driven about 50K already.

So at the end I will have invested $12200.00 plus say another $1 to 2K over the years with other improvements and my labor.

So again I will have a great van, made the way I want it, handles great, is not blow off the road by wind and big rigs, getting good MPG with a completely rebuilt drive line which I can repair at greatly lower cost of any newer van.

I call it a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN!!!