View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Your mental well-being and resilience to social challenges is way more important than the unmeasurable difference driving or not driving would make to the environment. Of course, it's easy for me to say that not having a dysfunctional level of OCD, but reinforcing dysfunctional circuits leads to further disfunction. I know, because in all the ways I'm dysfunctional, staying in my comfortable routine only makes it worse.
The more I look into a Volt, the more it looks like I just might go for a good used one.
I read some more on the Volt forum, and there are at least two posts about driving a Volt for months ( or years ! ) without plugging it in.
It looks as though no damage will come to either the ICE or battery this way, and I plan to charge the car every two weeks or so.

I found out that there is even a charge station at the WalMart just across from my job.
It is almost always blocked by ICE cars though.

I got to looking at the charge rate.
It is 30 cents per minute.
The Volt takes 3.5 hours to charge using one of these chargers, but I will buy used, and that means it will take even longer to charge.

So does this mean that it would cost at least $63 to get enough charge to drive 30 miles ? ( and probably less with the old battery )

( 30 cents per minute x 3.5 hrs. )

Even if I'm only adding 20 minutes worth of charge per week, that still doesn't change the fact that I'm paying $63 ( best case ) to drive 30 ( again, best case ) miles of EV.

Surely my math is wrong.

I could drive nearly 50 miles on one gallon of gas at less than $3 in my Civic.