View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 11:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
The more I look into a Volt, the more it looks like I just might go for a good used one.
I read some more on the Volt forum, and there are at least two posts about driving a Volt for months ( or years ! ) without plugging it in.
It looks as though no damage will come to either the ICE or battery this way, and I plan to charge the car every two weeks or so.

I found out that there is even a charge station at the WalMart just across from my job.
It is almost always blocked by ICE cars though.

I got to looking at the charge rate.
It is 30 cents per minute.
The Volt takes 3.5 hours to charge using one of these chargers, but I will buy used, and that means it will take even longer to charge.

So does this mean that it would cost at least $63 to get enough charge to drive 30 miles ? ( and probably less with the old battery )

( 30 cents per minute x 3.5 hrs. )

Even if I'm only adding 20 minutes worth of charge per week, that still doesn't change the fact that I'm paying $63 ( best case ) to drive 30 ( again, best case ) miles of EV.

Surely my math is wrong.

I could drive nearly 50 miles on one gallon of gas at less than $3 in my Civic.
Is the 30 cents per minute for L2 slow charging, or for DCFC? I'm not even sure if the Volt had an option for DCFC, and apparently all of Google doesn't know either. I'd never pay that anyhow, seeing as electricity is generally 12 cents per kWh, and you'd be getting 1/10th of that on a slow charge, so about 20x more than you'd pay at home.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!