View Single Post
Old 03-20-2021, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Most economical minivan?

Bigger family = more seats would be nice in family car. And my family is getting, well, bigger.

I've always loved the design and look of the Previa. But we are talking about an older vehicle that might just need a bit of TLC, or a new engine, transmission, brake system, electrical system and so on and so forth. Still, a super charged Previa would be awesome. A manual transmission with a swapped in S/C engine would be even better.

Another minivan that has interested me, but is probably a step backwards in terms of comfortable space, is the MAZDA5 mini-minivan. 6 speed manual, need I say more? If only it came with the 7 seat option in the USA. But my poor teenagers will probably hate me if I get one.

Looking at newer (circa 2015) minivans it looks like Edmunds True Cost to Own calculator places most minivans around the same TCO, whether we're talking about the Honda Odyssey, the Dodge Grand Caravan or the Ford Transit Connect. Only the Toyota Sienna had a significantly higher TCO, according to Edmunds. Of course that's within a 5 year period. If the Toyota lasts longer, it could be the cheaper option in the long run.

Well it's either a minivan or getting the wife or one of the boys to learn to drive the second car...