View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 05:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I got the computer with the i5-3570K from Redpoint5 just the other day. Big thanks to Redpoint for the generosity! It arrived mostly intact, with only a little bit of shipping roughage, but nothing that can't be quickly solved. The system will need a quick cleaning up (dust), but looks to be put together with nice quality products for the most part. That was a very pleasant surprise. This is much better IMO than a HP or Dell. After I get that taken care of we'll measure the power draw and see what we can do lower that power consumption.

Nice! What I love about these is they last forever! Sure, you might need a new hard drive down the road, and might want to eventually throw in a modest graphics card, but unless Microsoft changes Windows drastically in the near future, which isn't likely to happen, you should be set for many years to come.

That being said my recent electric bill showed I'm using about twice what I used to. I think part of it is leaving the computer I have now on and not getting everyone to put it in sleep mode when not in use. It's a water cooled gaming rig with a first gen Core i7 and dual Nvidia Geforce graphics cards on an Asus Maximus Extreme IV motherboard that someone was throwing away. All it needed was a new hard drive, although it still has its perfectly working 500gb SSD.