View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #69 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
Now imagine living where gas is $9.00 per gallon. ($9.04 is the highest i have paid) Could grid-tie still compete? Could the stock market? (And it will get cheaper when people are no longer paying early-adopter prices)
I've traveled to Europe enough that I don't have to image. The most I've paid was the equivalent of about $8 a gallon.

At $9 a gallon we are looking at about a 5 year payback. Not great / not horrible. I would rather spend my money on a solar roof that a moonroof.

Having had the pleasure to be in Jönköping, Sweden on the shortest day of the year I can't see a solar roof being a good fit for that climate even with very expensive fuel. (I've also enjoyed the longest day of the year but the problem with 18 hours of sun is that you need a big enough battery to store all that solar energy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I usually see camper vans fitted with solar panels, meant mostly as a power supply for accessories and appliances.
The UPS man just dropped off another 100W panel for my campervan. That will make 300 watts of solar on top of the van. I'm upgrading the solar and battery bank with an eye to switching from propane to electricity for cooking.