View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 04:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
Interesting, could be because you have less temperature difference between the heat source and ambient. I don't know what temps motors are run at, but I know you wouldn't want your battery at 100⁰C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The ICE engines are self-purging of most of the heat through the exhaust. The air (or Heaven forfend, water) cooling only has to handle the excess.
These are very good points. First of all a battery needs to stay around ambient temperature. But it's sure hard to keep something as cool as ambient temperature with a tiny radiator even if it doesn't create a lot of heat. That's because if it's hard to remove the heat it's easier for it to build up.

A greater temperature difference between radiator fluid and ambient air means you can get away with a smaller radiator. I remember reading somewhere that NASCAR vehicles get away with smaller radiators by using cleaver tricks to run higher engine and coolant temperatures.

And then there's the point that at least half the heat goes out the exhaust on an ICEV.

Now if batteries and inverters and such could run at +100°C/+212°F then they'd be much easier to cool.