View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
OhYou_
EcoModding Lurker

cheaper pancake PMACs and controllers?

I've been mulling over the thought of building a hybrid system the past few days.
I've got a toyota mr2 spyder that I go do HPDE and time attack events with, and in desperate need for more power, but I also want to continue it being street legal.

I've been into the transmission a couple of times, and it really seems like I can just cad up a custom adapter and have it milled out to bolt a motor directly to the back of the transmission. It would take place of the 6th gear, so I would relocate the 5/6 shift fork to my own control rod, cable, and shift lever.
This way I can enable and disable the hybrid system, have motor+engine working the same single gear in 1-4th, and most importantly be able to drive the motor as a generator with the transmission in neutral and motor enabled.

Now the hard part is if I directly drive this, I have very little room to spare for a motor, maybe 8-9cm of axial length if that.
I was looking at Yasa and Emrax motors as they suit the space requirements in theory. But they start at like $4000
Are there any other cheaper motors out there anyone knows about that may work in my case? Or even DIY motors, if I can remove the motor assembly out of an existing hybrid like a prius or something, I can in theory build a case for it or integrate it into my adapter design. I'm only looking for 40-60ish hp

Alternatively I can probably use two gears or even a sprocket and chain to mount the motor in a better place but that's going to be a lot more engineering that I'm not really comfortable with.